Here’s what happened.
On February 14, 1867, an institute was founded in Augusta, Georgia as a school for freed black Americans. After moving to Atlanta, the institute broadened its mission to focus on higher education. In 1913 it adopted its current name: Morehouse College.
Here’s why it matters.
Over its first five decades, the college that began as The Augusta Institute operated under several names, including Atlanta Baptist Seminary and Atlanta Baptist College. The historic name change was made to honor Henry L. Morehouse, an executive with the American Baptist Home Mission Society. The Society had played major roles in establishing several historically black colleges.
Morehouse College is the alma mater of an ever-growing roster of local and national leaders in education, religion, medicine, activism, public service, business, and media. A sampling of alumni, which includes Martin Luther King, Jr., and Maynard Jackson, can be seen here. “The House,” as it is affectionately nicknamed by many alumni, has also provided honorees for various achievements, including Rhodes Scholarships, Nobel prizes, Olympic medals, Academy Awards, and national honor societies, as well as executives in dozens of Fortune 500 companies.
Morehouse presidents such as George Sale, Benjamin E. Mays, Hugh Morris Gloster ’31, and Walter E. Massey ’58 made historic contributions to public service as well as education.
Here’s an interesting fact!
Morehouse College will observe Founders Week activities during February 14-17, 2013. For more information, visit the college’s web site, or contact the Office of Alumni Relations and Special Events at 404-215-2658.