By Kathy M. Newbern and J.S. Fletcher
It's not often we see a discount on a stellar dining opportunity, so we had to share this news from the fabulous Fearrington House Restaurant. They are offering a 20-percent discount on a culinary experience of the highest order - among our Top 3 luxe dining picks locally. That makes this the perfect time for you to treat yourself.
Our own recent forays there included a fabulous stay and dinner, plus a wonderful experience with Chef Colin Bedford and team at the Fearrington Cooking School.
So, yes, we can rave.
Check out the lovely, four-course menu options available now. (Warning: Mouth watering is a possibility if you read below.) Don't know about you, but we're intrigued by the "wooly pig" and the "porcini whoopie pie":
- Maple Cured Duck Breast with Fearrington Blackberry Jam Bunch Carrots, Red Cabbage, Parsley Root, Olive Oil
- Game Consomme with Walnut Caramel & Rutabaga Custard Star Anise, Meringue, Brussel Sprouts, Radish
- Scallop Ceviche with Yuzu & Vanilla Tapioca Avocado, Cucumber, Cilantro, Mango
- Marinated Mushrooms with “Porcini Whoopie Pie” & Truffle Dressing Salsify, Black Garlic, Chestnuts, Delicata Squash
- Hamachi with Horseradish Quinoa & Confit Blood Orange Yogurt, Jalapeno, Sugar Snap and Diakon
- Torchon of Foie Gras with Cauliflower & Gingerbread Medjool Date, Madeira, Shiitake Mushrooms, Pearl Onions
- Seared Trout with Heirloom Carrots, Muscat & Tupelo Honey with Horseradish, Wheat Berries, Coriander
- Seared Wreckfish with Carolina White Rice & Curry with Okra, Almond, Golden Raisin, Butternut Squash
- Golden Syrup Roasted Parsnip with Medjool Date & Pearl Barley with Lemon, Muscat Vinegar, Gingerbread, Mitsuba
- Smoked Heritage Farms Belly with Butter Braised Sunchokes Apple, Leeks, Mustard and Ginger
- Roasted Saddle of Rabbit with Roasted Garlic & Tarragon Celery Root, Hazelnut, Prosciutto and Kale
- Veal Tenderloin with Confit Fennel & Cornmeal Blini Green Olive, Spaghetti Squash, Capers, Lemon
- Monkfish with Potato Espuma & Truffle Fish Velouté Honey Mustard, Leek, Malt Vinegar, Tarragon
- Wooly Pig with Seared Foie Gras & Black Pepper Pineapple De Puy Lentils, Broccoli, Sweet & Sour, Pistachio
- Butter Poached Lobster with Crispy Quinoa & Parsley Sauce Pineapple, Fennel, Butternut Squash, Coconut
- Beef Sirloin with Sweet Potato, & Herb Crust Shallot, Mushrooms, Kohlrabi, Garlic
- Roasted Venison with Cocoa Nib Crust, Redcurrant & Bay Leaf Sauce Parsnip, Kumquat, Brussels Sprouts, Juniper
- Butternut Squash Ravioli with Pecan Puffs & Pear Butter Baby Leeks, Cinnamon, Kale
- Seared Squab with Mushroom Puree & Caramelized Cane Sugar Savoy Cabbage, Cippolini, Quince, Black Trumpet Mushrooms
- Parsnip Bavarois with Iced Caramelized White Chocolate & Almond with Apple, Milk Jam, Cinnamon, Burnt Butter
- Coconut “Bounty” with Dark Chocolate & Rum Raisin Ice Cream with Lime, Macaroon, Sea Salt, Anise Hisop
- Vanilla Pillow with Orange Ice Cream & Roasted Hazelnuts with Banana and Meringue
- Valrhona Cœur de Guanaja Chocolate Soufflé served with Hot Chocolate Sauce and Whipped Cream
- A Selection of Artisan Cheeses, House made Chutney, Apricot & Oatmeal Bread.
Dinner won't be complete, though, unless you consult with Maximlian (Max) Kast on some wine choices. He's one of the best sommeliers around. Trust us; you'll thank us for the recommendation.
If You're Going: Call Fearrington House Restaurant at 919.542.2121 for reservations and mention the promotional code "Winter" to try the new winter menu at 20 percent off. Price is $89 for three courses, $99 for four courses or $129 for the tasting menu (before discount). However, the discount does not apply Valentine's weekend.
Kudos: Fearrington House Restaurant is the only AAA Five Diamond restaurant in the U.S. to be Green Certified and to have been ranked a top 50 restaurant in the U.S., based on more than two million reviews by OpenTable diners.
If enjoyed this story, you might also enjoy these:
Luxury Travel Examiner Kathy M. Newbern and spouse, J.S. Fletcher, report on luxury destinations, spas and cruising around the globe. They are award-winning members of the Society of American Travel Writers and created YourSpaReport.com and YourNovel.com, their personalized romance novel business.