Because it is the time of year for fall festivals, roadside stands selling apples and juice and farmer's market's last offers of the season, many of these places will sell fresh-squeezed apple, grape and orange juices. lemonade and cider.
These fresh juices served by the glass don't come with the usual FDA warning label that states, "WARNING: This product has not been pasteurized and therefore may contain harmful bacteria that can cause serious illness in children, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems."
Fruits and vegetables may contain harmful bacteria on the peel or inside the fruit, becoming a part of the finished product when squeezed and not treated. This bacteria causes what is known as food poisoning. The average person won't notice anything huge from this bacteria, except for a little diahrrea and headache, but certain classes of people could become fatally ill. These groups include pregnant women.
When considering the purchase of fresh-squeezed juice, make sure to watch as the fruit is being washed. Ideally, the fruit should be washed in a vinegar-water solution to kill bacteria. Asking questions before you drink is your right.
Because of the risk, children younger than age 10 should avoid these fresh-squeezed jucies unless they will be heat-treated at home before consuming. Food poisoning is a very uncomfortable kind of sick, on the order of alcohol poisoning, but the 'hang-over' can last days or weeks.
Enjoy the bounty of a farm or orchard. Be wise when consuming products that haven't been pasteurized. The bacteria could be hiding in the soil, fertilize or water used to produce the product.