Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

FC win Sydney derby

A-League 2013-14 Round 22: Sydney FC v Western Sydney Wanderers-slide0
Photo by Matt King/Getty Images

It was another tense Sydney Derby that saw the older half of Sydney victorious as Sydney FC got a vital victory over Western Sydney Wanderers, 3-1 at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.

Ali Abbas celebrates his goal
Photo by Joosep Martinson/Getty Images

It was another sell-out crowd and with such passion, and so much importance for both sides, it was unsurprising that the first half was tense, with neither side creating many chances in the first 45 minutes.

Western Sydney were probably the better side of a less than stellar first half and had the only clear chance of the half in the 34th minute as Youssouf Hersi found space from distance and hit a dipping shot that forced a solid save out of Vedran Janjetovic to keep it 0-0 at the break.

After the break Janjetovic was not as lucky when Sydney were unable to deal with a Mark Bridge cross, allowing Shinji Ono to volley in the opener from close range.

That goal may have been scrappy but it sparked the match in to life and moments later Western Sydney had a penalty after Richie Garcia fouled Hersi in the box.

Garcia sent the effort to Janjetovic’s left but the Sydney keeper stretched out and made the save, prompting cheers from the Sydney FC fans, that caused the hilarious scene of Ante Covic celebrating his own striker’s missed penalty as he thought the cheers were Western Sydney fans.

That saw Sydney FC start to come in to the match and eight minutes later the hosts were level as Nikola Petkovic’s free-kick left Ante Covic stranded, allowing Matthew Jurman to tap home the equalizer.

The goal seemed to spark the derby tension in the players with Iacopo La Rocca grabbing Ali Abbas, which lead to foul tempered insults, with Abbas filing a complaint after the match about insults due to his race and national origin.

In the 75th minute Sydney FC had the lead as Covic sent a free-kick for Michael Beauchamp, who then passed the ball right to Garcia, allowing him to simply pass the ball in to the back of the net.

In stoppage time Sydney FC sealed the match as a Polenz hand ball allowed Abbas to get the last laugh on the Wanderers as he netted the match winning penalty, leading to more abuse, that the FFA is sure to look at.

For all the latest Australian Football news please subscribe and follow the writer on twitter.

Report this ad