After she was noticed missing Sunday morning, but not reported missing from her Bremerton, Washington, home by her parents until that night, the search for six-year-old Jenise Wright continued on Aug. 6 with the FBI now officially taking over the hunt. Local police “worked through the night” searching the area and questioning residents at Jenise’s mobile home park, according to Fox News.
Jenice’s parents notified local police that their daughter was missing Sunday night. They made that 911 call about 24 hours after last seeing their daughter. The parents took lie detector tests yesterday and are reportedly cooperating fully with authorities in their missing daughter’s investigation.
Kitsap County Sheriff's Office deputies began looking for Jenice around 10:30 p.m Sunday night. By Monday at around 1:30 a.m., a full-scale ground search conducted by approximately 80 searchers and search dogs for the missing child had gotten underway.
Earlier today, Deputy Scott Wilson with the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office said that “the initial search ‘surge’ is over and now the case is turning into a methodical investigation.” Wilson added that at this point, searchers have looked everywhere they possibly could in and around Jenise’s mobile home park.
The search for Jenise now includes more than 100 officials from 10 different law enforcement agencies including an FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team. The FBI released a statement yesterday asking for the public’s help in locating Jenise.
The FBI’s national tip line, 1-800-CALL-FBI, has been activated for this case. We’re asking the public to help investigators by providing any bit of information they have about activity in the Steele Creek Mobile Home Park during the weekend of Friday, August 1 - Sunday, August 3.
Jenise was last seen Saturday night, Aug. 2, when she went to bed. Her parents noticed her missing the next morning but didn’t bother contacting police right away because, according to the parents, the child had left the family home on her own in the past to wander about the neighborhood. Neighbors corroborated that story, saying that they often saw the 6-year-old wandering through the mobile park by herself.
Neighbors also said that they live in a relatively safe area. But a few residents added that the little girl shouldn't have been wandering around unsupervised.
NBC News reported, that by Tuesday, the entrance to Jenise’s mobile home park had been restricted to residents only, and the FBI had taken over the search for the missing child. Searchers went door to door in the mobile home park and asked to search every trailer and every out-building. Investigators said that they would have secured search warrants for any residents who don’t voluntarily comply with their search requests.
Law enforcement agents have also asked for any available residential video surveillance in the area. Sheriff’s deputies have been assigned to contact and question all known registered sex offenders in the area.
Two of Jenise’s siblings who were living at the home at the time of her disappearance - an eight-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl - were removed from the home by child welfare workers. Jenise also has two adult siblings and a 16-year-old sibling who were not at home when she disappeared. Jenise's parents have not officially been named as suspects in her disappearance.