Sept. 29, 2013 – Everyone wants their life to be meaningful. Honor gives an inkling of confirmation that a life being led has high value because someone else is expressing intentional, definitive and tangible respect. It serves notice that their value is noticed and like stock has appreciated and is appreciated. Honor is the lifeblood of manhood, especially for the extremely vital subcategory of manhood called fatherhood. A father may or may not tell you, but he needs to be needed and loves to be loved. It is an unspoken motivation and need.
A father may not even hint at it; but, appreciation goes a long way toward his internal stability and will help strengthen him to be passionate about the stability of the home for which he is responsible. Honor need not cost an exorbitant amount. Actually it ought to be freely given and can even be free of cost. So what are some ways short of throwing a banquet for him that we can honor dad? Here are a few:
- Tell him he is special. Call him, text him, send him a card and leave him notes. Words mean so much. Compliment your dad. He may deflect the importance but he will not only receive it but remember it
- Speak highly of him to others. Love is brand conscious. It is an incredible feeling when a third party tells a dad that his son or daughter speaks highly of him
- Sons and daughters give your dad a hug. Meaningful touch is a two way street. You would be surprised in the health benefits that an embrace has associated with it. The greatest health benefit is to have healthy close-knit family. Hugs verify and maintain acceptance and closeness.
- Give your testimony to dad of how advice he gave you panned out. Let him know his words are valuable to you. Inform him that you heard him and followed his instructions.
- Tell him he make you feel safe and gives you hope. When a family, especially a child feels safe to dream, the family will flourish – they will have a hope and a future
- Frame and post some of his best sayings or principles and prominently display them. This will just cost you the price of listening, paper, creativity and a frame but the honor is priceless
Give your dad honor and extend your life and his – with joy and love…