An aging Los Angeles man who witnessed his son’s violent death in real time on television is suing the city for $20 million in damages. From the Los Angeles Times:
Bill Beaird, 80, wept as he spoke to reporters outside the Los Angeles Police Department's downtown headquarters, the same day his family filed a $20-million claim against the city in the death of his son Brian. The claim is a legal precursor required when suing a California government entity.
Beaird explained to reporters that his youngest son called him the evening of Dec. 13 and said he was being chased by police. His son insisted he hadn't done anything wrong, prompting the father to advise him to pull over. Instead, 51-year-old Brian Beaird led police on a high-speed chase through downtown LA, which was captured by a KTLA-TV news helicopter.
In the video, which can be viewed here, the younger Beaird’s Corvette can be seen T-boning another car before spinning out onto a sidewalk.
The video has been truncated and ends with police surrounding the vehicle. In its original form — the form that Bill Beaird watched in sheer horror and disbelief — the driver can be seen staggering out of his vehicle, raising his hands with his back to police, then silently grabbing his abdomen and falling to the ground.
The father said he was initially confused about what transpired and wasn’t even sure it was his son. Television reporters covering the unfolding story said they thought the suspect might have been shot with a Taser. But when Beaird tried to no avail to reach his son by telephone, his concern mounted. Eventually, his worst fears were confirmed: It was not only his son in the video; Brian was dead.
- Horror story: Mom learns her 15-year-old son is dead when she reads about it on Facebook
- 11-year-old assaults grandmother after she refuses to buy him toy
- Ohio couple returns 9-year-old boy they adopted when he was 3 months old
- Perps in latest ‘Knockout’ game are elementary school students; libs still insist attacks are mythical
- Daycare worker admits to murdering 3-year-old because she ‘refused to take her coat off’
- Mother jailed for up to 30 years for burning off teen son’s penis and nipples with lighter
- Family of black teen who attempted armed robbery irate that a Good Samaritan shot him (Video)
- Families of armed robbers shot to death by concerned citizen demand justice (Video)
- GA high school senior suspended one year for hugging teacher
- Man wrongfully imprisoned won’t see dime of $5M settlement because Detroit is broke
- 5th-grader suspended for ‘shooting’ imaginary ‘arrow’ at classmate