Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Father sentenced to 180 days in jail for over paying child support

In Texas, Clifford Hall was sentenced to 180 days in jail and $3,000 to pay his ex-wives attorney’s fee because he was seeing his 11 year old son too much. According to News One Hall's child support and visitation were modified without his knowledge. Hall’s child support amount had gone up and his visitation had done down.

What happens in the courtroom
Photo by Nigel Treblin/Getty Images

“I discovered for some reason his employer was withholding a large amount some weeks, a small amount some weeks, a zero amount some weeks,” said Hall’s attorney, Tyesha Elam. When Hall found out he paid the amount that he was behind. When he went to court in November it was stated that he owed no money. When Judge Millard held Hall in contempt he walked out of court. “I can’t be there for my son in jail. I can’t pay child support in jail. This is not in the best interest of the child.” Hall told My Fox Houston.

In the State of Missouri according to the bar “Child support may be modified only upon a showing of changed circumstances so substantial and continuing as to make the terms of the original order unreasonable.” It is best if both parents can come to an agreement but if either parent contests the agreement it will be taken to the courts. The motion to modify is a formal pleading to the court which must be filled out and filed with the court. Representing Yourself in Missouri Courts Access to Family Courts reports that even once the process of a contested agreement is started the parents can come to an agreement they don’t always have to go to court. The chances of the same scenario happening in Missouri are slim because of our guidelines.

Report this ad