Father’s Day is coming soon. It's the day we honor and celebrate fathers, grandfathers, great-grandfathers, step-fathers, fathers-in-law, uncles, and all the men who serve as father figures in our lives. It’s a day we celebrate their unique contribution and influence on children and on society. Celebrated worldwide on a variety of dates, Father's Day in the United States is celebrated on the third Sunday of June. This year, it will be celebrated in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. on Sunday, June 14, 2014.
Although the idea for Father’s Day was originally conceived in 1907, shortly after Mother’s Day was officially declared, it wasn’t made official until 1966, when President Lyndon B. Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers and designating the third Sunday in June as Father's Day. Six years later, the day was made a permanent national holiday when President Richard Nixon signed it into law in 1972.
A grandfather by any name means love – and lots of it. Happy Father’s Day to the many loving and dedicated papas, poppies, pop-pops, gramps, grampy, grampas out there.
Grandfathers offer unconditional love in a way different from any other. The dedication and love they feel is a universal kind of love, shared across all segments of the population, all demographics, and all regions. From horsey back rides to tickles, from barbeques to sharing the Sunday comics, from traveling to talking on the phone, they make a difference in all our lives. And from Hugo and Nietzsche to present day super stars, throughout history there have been many great quotes discussing their many virtues and contributions.
Grandfathers teach us, play with us, guide us, coach us, and touch our hearts in special ways. In celebration of Father’s Day, let’s take a moment to honor the great men in our lives who make life and living so grand – grandfathers.
Here’s what well-known authors, celebrities, politicians, and others have said about grandfathers:
Father’s Day collection of quotes about grandfathers
- “There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson.” Victor Hugo
- “Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers.” Lewis Mumford
- “Grandfathers do have a special place in the lives of their children's children. They can delight and play with them and even indulge them in ways that they did not indulge their own children. Grandfather knows that after the fun and games are over with his adorable grandchildren he can return to the quiet of his own home and peacefully reflect on this phenomenon of fatherhood.” Alvin F. Poussaint
- “Grandpas have the patience and time to teach you how to sail a model boat or take you to a football match.” Anonymous
- “A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play.” F. W. Nietzsche
- “My grandfather was a wonderful role model. Through him I got to know the gentle side of men.” Sarah Long
- “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson
- “The closest friends I made all through life have been people who also grew up close to a loved and loving grandmother or grandfather.” Margaret Mead
- “Some of the world's best educators are grandparents” Charles W. Shedd
- “A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. Author Unknown
- Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” Alex Haley
- What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies.” Rudolph Giuliani
- One of the most powerful handclasps is that of a new grandbaby around the finger of a grandfather. ~Joy Hargrove
- Grandfathers are just antique little boys. ~Author Unknown
- Grandchildren don't stay young forever, which is good because Grandfathers have only so many horsy rides in them.”Gene Perret
You may also be interested in these related articles:
- Grandparent Name Game
- Picking the perfect grandfather name
- Picking the perfect grandmother name
To receive Ellen Jacob’s articles in your in-box, click SUBSCRIBE. It’s FREE and your email will never be shared with anyone. Share your funny, cute, awwww! grand-giggles by emailing me at: firstname.lastname@example.org and type GRANDGIGGLES in the Subject Line.