Meet Mother Nature's best food for skin, teeth, hair and weight loss: Coconut oil. That creamy, rich substance that has been shown to boost both your health and your weight loss.
Combined sales of coconut oil and coconut water recently soared 183 percent at a popular English market, according to the Daily Mail. But what's the magic?
"Many models add it to their diet because it helps to metabolize fat, meaning that you burn more calories," explained celebrity trainer James Duigan, author of "Clean & Lean Diet: The Global Bestseller on Achieving Your Perfect Body" (click for details).
"Coconut oil contains short- and medium-chain saturated fat. But it is good saturated fat," stated Sarah Wilson, author of "I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook" (click for details).
Made of medium-chain fatty acids, coconut oil is "immediately converted into energy, rather than being stored as fat, and help to stimulate your body’s metabolism," she added.
So how do you use it? Try these tips from experts:
- Use coconut oil to replace butter in cooking and baking.
- James Duigan suggests taking four teaspoons of coconut oil every day, adding it to smoothies or tea.
- Sarah Wilson consumes hers straight from the jar to kill her sugar cravings.
And it helps for more than weight loss.
"It is also a superfood for the brain, reducing inflammation and stimulating the growth of new brain cells," says David Perlmutter, author of "Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers" (click for details).
We've tried some different products, and here are the ones that we recommend for different purposes:
- Coconut oil: Go for Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (click for details).
- For coconut water: Try Taste Nirvana Real Coconut Water With Pulp (click for more information).
- For something extra special: Indulge in Artisana Coconut Butter-Cacao Bliss (100% Organic).