Fashion lovers who might not be philanthropists have found a way to satisfy their altruistic and aesthetic needs by attending fashion show fundraisers. This new trend in raising money is enticing the eye and keeping donors entertained. During this down economy, nonprofits are in fierce competition so they are reaching out to new groups and thinking outside of the box to raise funds.
“As organizers, we must design events that are imaginative, build excitement and drive outreach. This is the only way to compete for dollars in an environment of little leisure time, decreasing disposable incomes and reduced corporate sponsorships. Done well, fashion events are a great option. They invite attendees into a fantasy world of beautiful people and beautiful clothing and create a welcome diversion from the day to day,” says Tony Chakonas, community volunteer and RunUp to the Runway co-chair.
Check out these fashion shows for a good cause in Milwaukee this year:
- Transformations Fashion Show – June, TBA to benefit the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee: boysgirlsclub.org
- Spectacular Spectacular- July 25, to benefit the Chron’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA), Wisconsin Chapter: spectacularmilwaukee.com
- RunUp to the Runway - October 16, to benefit the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra: mam.org
- Fall into Fashion Luncheon and Style Show – October TBA, to benefit the Lupus Foundation of America, Wisconsin Chapter
- Salute to Survivors – October, TBA, to benefit the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showcase: breastcancershowcase.org
There are many fashions shows during the spring as well that are typically annual events. Look out for these events in Spring 2010: Wild Space Dance Company’s Wild Style, the Sojourner Truth House “Awear” Fashion Event, Milwaukee Florentine Opera’s Grand Fashions for Grand Opera, Healthy Families of Waukesha County’s Fabulous Fashion Fling, Columbia St. Mary’s Passion for Fashion and American Cancer Society’s Strut for the Cure.