This is a delicious and healthy option for breakfast or really any time of day! Follow the recipe exactly, or substitute the seasonal veggies that like most. You can make this ahead of time and reheat it just before serving. A slice also makes a great breakfast to take to work.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the asparagus, zucchini, and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium-low. In the same skillet, add the eggs and cook until just set, about 4 minutes.
4. Spread the reserved vegetable mixture on top of the eggs. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the eggs are set, about 8 minutes. Scatter the goat cheese and feta cheese over the frittata during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove the frittata from the oven, let it cool slightly, and cut it into wedges. Garnish with basil.
Recipe excerpt from The One One One Diet (Rodale, 2013)