Recent changes in the health and well-being of tight ends has forced a reassessment of the top 10 to start for the remainder of the season.
Though Jimmy Graham of New Orleans at the No. 1 spot is no surprise, the emergence of some relatively new tight ends is worth noting in this top 10 list. For example, how many of you drafted Julius Thomas of Denver as your starting tight end?
Certainly, a number of fantasy football owners claimed Thomas after his spectacular debut in week #1 when he caught five passes (two for touchdowns) and accumulated 110 receiving yards. He is No. 2 among tight ends in touchdown catches with 11. (Jimmy Graham has 14.)
Another new face is tight end No. 10 - Coby Fleener of Indianapolis - and he is capable of scoring 10 fantasy football points in each of the Colts' three remaining regular season games. (Ten points per game is the projected average for the top 10 tight ends in fantasy football.)
Here is the list that the Michigan Gnome and I compiled of the top 10 tight ends that can lead you into and through the fantasy football playoffs:
- Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints
- Julius Thomas, Denver Broncos
- Jordan Cameron, Cleveland Browns
- Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers
- Charles Clay, Miami Dolphins
- Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta Falcons
- Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers
- Greg Olsen, Carolina Panthers
- Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys
- Coby Fleener, Indianapolis Colts
Feel free to share your feedback, insights, suggestions or questions by commenting on this article, tweeting me @denimartin, or by sending an email to email@example.com.