Fandor is the ultimate place for any cinephile or in other words a place for fans of indie, classic, foreign, and cult cinema. Plans are either $10 a month or $90 a year, for that price you get an interesting variety of movies. Their list is pretty impressive especially for those who are tired of the same old blockbuster movie.
You can stream Fandor on your TV using Roku, Sony, Chromecast, and you stream it on your device using your Android, iPad, or iPad. Before buying a subscription, you can run a two week free trial to test it out.
A little from their own words:
We've got thousands of movies from over a hundred countries, drawn from every decade of filmmaking practice beginning with the 1890s. (From the Fandor Site)
They have movies from directors like Werner Herzog, Agnes Varda, Peter Greenaway, Alice-Guy Blanche (one of the first Women directors), many other names that have contributed to cinema. The site offers many short films too, which that is something that is overlooked on other streaming sites. Their foreign selection is also something to be proud about. You can even search for movies by looking through festivals like Cannes.
Here's a small list about Fandor that also makes it an interesting site for movie fans:
- Fandor has a channel on their site that is a 'non-stop movie mixtape.' It curates movies all day and all year-round. It's good for those who don't know what to watch.
- It's easy to use and is very interactive.
- They also do spotlights to help you find things to watch, like their spotlight on Women Directors or their newest one Silent Epics.
- It has a wide selection of forgotten movies, art house flicks, and its not too snobby they don't forget about the bad cult films!
- If you made a film, you can submit it for submission!
So if you're tired of Netflix not having what you want or want to try something new, test out Fandor.