While fragrant flowers, sparkling gems and decadent chocolate are the perfect way to say "I love you" on Valentine's Day, nothing quite says romance like a kiss from that special someone. Whether it's a wet and sloppy one, a quick peck or a long and passionate display of affection, kissing is an important part of our romantic lives.
Whether it's in film, television or real life, the following kisses are ones to remember. Purse those lips and get ready to pucker up with the world's most famous and memorable kisses below.
Most Famous & Memorable Kisses
- One of the most iconic kisses of all time was caught on camera by Alfred Eisenstaedt when a sailor kissed a nurse on the street in Times Square on V-J Day in 1945.
- Amidst utter mayhem, another kiss that made news around the world occurred in Vancouver, Canada, during a riot on the streets. The famous image that went viral is known as the "Kissing Couple" - Alex Thomas and Scott Jones.
- Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, kisses his new wife, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, on the balcony at Buckingham Palace on April 29, 2011. The newlyweds actually kissed twice as millions around the world looked on.
- The World's Longest Kiss happened in 2012 when Nonthawat Charoenkaesornsin and Thanakorn Sitthiamthong of Thailand locked lips for over 50 hours!
- United States Vice President Al Gore planted a great big one on his then-wife, Tipper, in the Great Gore Kiss.
- The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, and the only child of the King of Rock and Roll, Lisa Marie Presley, shared a very intimate kiss during their brief marriage during the 1994 MTV Video Music Awards. The two also released a risque music video.
- One of the most unforgettable kisses of all time was when Liza Minnelli wed David Gest.
- While she's kissed many a leading man both on and off the screen, Angelina Jolie caused quite a sensation when she planted a great big one on the lips of her real-life brother, James Haven, at the 2000 Academy Awards show.
- While Madonna is known for pushing the envelope, the unexpected French kiss between the Material Girl and Britney Spears during the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards caused quite a stir.
- Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr steam up the screen in 1953 with this famous kiss on the beautiful sands of Hawaii in "From Here to Eternity."
- Who can forget Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in the 1939 classic film, "Gone with the Wind?"
- Richard Gere and Debra Winger in the 1982 blockbuster film, "An Officer and a Gentleman."
- After years of disliking, liking then loving each other, Harry finally kisses Sally on New Year's Eve in Nora Ephron's smash hit, "When Harry Met Sally."
- Jack is the king of the world when he kisses Rose on the ill-fated voyage in one of the most popular movies of all time, "Titanic."
- A little rain made a passionate kiss between Noah and Allie even more steamy in one of the most romantic films of all time, "The Notebook." The couple actually won Best Kiss during the 2005 MTV Movie Awards.
- Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed share a wonderful kiss in the classic holiday film, "It's a Wonderful Life."
- Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman star in the 1943 film, "For Whom the Bell Tolls."
- The lovely Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard share a kiss in the classic 1961 film, "Breakfast at Tiffany's."
- Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis go at it in more ways than one in "Top Gun."
- Michael Douglas, Glenn Close and Anne Archer star in the 1987 thriller, "Fatal Attraction."
- After years of ups-and-downs, Carrie and Big finally get it right after the wedding that went so wrong. Fair warning - that kiss in the killer walk-in closet is a real tear-jerker in the "Sex and the City" film.
- Jake Gyllenhaal and the late Heath Ledger starred in this groundbreaking film in "Brokeback Mountain."
- Michael Scott plants one on Oscar in television series, "The Office."
And speaking of romance...
- The Best Valentine’s Day Sayings, Quotes & Poems for Your Sweetheart
- Top 10 Most Romantic Valentine’s Day Movies
- Valentine’s Day: Just-for-fun facts
- Pretty in Pink Valentine’s Day Fudge
- Free Valentine’s Day cards for kids
- Printable Valentine’s Day cards for children