House fires, hurricanes, floods, chemical spills, or fallout from a nuclear power plant meltdown all could be possible reasons why families in the Baltimore area might need to bug out someday. This article will discuss how carefully chosen family pictures can help to promote family unity and morale when a family has to endure a bug out experience during a disaster.
Bugging out can be even more stressful than bugging in, especially during the winter. In addition to those bugging in stresses, families that must bug out will find themselves in strange, cramped places such as cars, tents, motels, or relatives’ houses. Family members’ daily routines will be disrupted, and being continually crowded together for days or weeks can test the patience of all family members.
Iconic family pictures that stick in the memories of family members can serve many therapeutic purposes. These pictures can:
- Provide a brief, healthy escape from the anxiety of the moment.
- Remind family members that they have had happy times together in the past and that they can have happy times together again in the future.
- Impress upon family members that they are part of a team that has worked together for years and can work together to get through the current disaster.
Such pictures might be, for example, of:
- Husbands and wives when they were courting.
- Their children when they were babies, gap toothed infants, or teenagers.
- Family reunions.
- Weddings, birthdays, graduations, vacations, and awards ceremonies.
- Holiday celebrations such as Christmas and New Year’s parties, 4th of July picnics, and Memorial Day beach outings.
- Family members enjoying their favorite activities, hobbies, sports, and pets.
- Family members hamming it up for the camera.
If preppers make copies of the best family pictures in their albums, these pictures, without the albums, will weigh less and will take up less space in the bug out bags, thus leaving room for two more items in the bug out bag. A deck of cards also will not take up much space and will not weigh much. After a family views and reminisces about the events in their family pictures, the deck of cards can provide hours of family enjoyment and escape from the anxiety of the bug out experience. Finally, the family Bible certainly is worth its weight and the space it takes up in a bug out bag.
What ways can you think of to promote family unity and morale during a bug out experience? Please comment below.