In 2003, a Massachusetts girl had a severe allergic reaction after taking Children's Motrin. On Wednesday, her family won a major lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiary.
In a statement, Johnson & Johnson said, "A number of medicines, including ibuprofen, have been associated with allergic reactions and as noted on the label, consumers should stop using medications and immediately contact a healthcare professional if they have an allergic reaction."
When Samantha Reckis was seven-years-old, a life-threatening allergic reaction set in after taking Children's Motrin. It stripped off 90 percent of her skin and damaged her lungs. The ordeal for began the day after Thanksgiving in 2003 when her parents gave her Children's Motrin to treat a high fever. Shortly thereafter, Samantha started having trouble breathing and then broke out with inflamed skin, which appeared to be dying.
While she was taken to doctors for treatment, she was diagnosed with toxic epidermal necrolysis, a potentially fatal condition marked by swollen mucus membranes in the eyes, throat, nose and lungs. The girl's allergic reaction was from the ibuprofen medication. It was so severe that it caused her to lose about 90 percent of her skin. Samantha also lost her eyesight and suffered temporary memory loss. Doctors were forced to place her in a medically-induced coma to speed the healing.
If a judge approves the jury awards, Samantha and her family stand to collect nearly $100 million with interest from the $63M verdict. The family's attorney argued that Johnson & Johnson and McNeil-PPC Inc. failed to properly warn consumers that using the ibuprofen medication could possibly be fatal. A Boston jury agreed when the girl and her family were awarded $63M for the lawsuit filed in 2007.
Find Chiromother on facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/chiromother, twitter http://twitter.com/ChiroMotherOR Pinterest at: http://pinterest.com/chiromother/my-articles-and-videos-at-examiner-com-yahoo-voice/.