A family awarded $63M suffered a great tragedy, agrees Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., however, a company spokesperson said "additional legal options" are being explored in the case.
Here's what happened, according to an ABC News report dated Feb. 13, 2013. Nearly 10 years ago, then seven-year-old Samantha Reckis suffered an adverse reaction after taking Motrin ibuprofen. Today, the girl is a teenager who is lucky to be alive.
The reaction suffered by the Massachusetts girl is known as toxic epidermal necrolysis, which is a rare, "severe adverse cutaneous drug reactions that predominantly involve the skin and mucous membranes." In Reckis's case, the condition blinded her and caused the majority of her skin to slough off.
Although the family was awarded $63M, a Plymouth Superior Court jury actually decided the family should receive $109M, a figure that includes interest.
Johnson & Johnson's contemplation of additional legal options could mean the company plans to appeal the family's $63M award, however, that has not yet been determined.