A family was awarded $63 million on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2013, after a jury found Johnson & Johnson responsible for almost costing a Massachusetts teenager her life. The health care conglomerate out of New Jersey had to pay the large sum due to the life-threatening reaction that the child had to Motrin.
The Plymouth Superior Court jury awarded the Reckis family $63 million, but Johnson & Johnson is going to have a lot more come out of pocket. The company and McNeil Laboratories is going to have to officially hand over $109 million to the family due to interest.
It was reported on Feb. 13, 2013, The Associated Press reported that the Samantha Reckis, now a teenager, suffered a potentially deadly reaction to the drug Motrin that she took almost a decade ago. Reckis was a mere seven-years-old at the time of the incident.
Shortly after taking the children's Motron, Reckis experienced toxic epidermal nerolysis which is a rare side effect. The child was actually left blind and lost almost 90 percent of the skin on her body.
Johnson & Johnson knows that they must pay the large sum, but they are still affected by the incident that happened with the Reckis family. They don't agree with the verdict though, and are considering seeking other legal options which includes possible appeals.