A family was awarded $63M after a jury found the New Jersey health care giant Johnson & Johnson responsible for a Massachusetts teenager's life-threatening drug reaction to Motrin.
On Wednesday, a Plymouth Superior Court jury awarded the family $63M. However, the grand total of the amount Johnson & Johnson and its McNeil Laboratories have to pay the family is $109 million, which includes the interest.
On Feb. 13 Yahoo! explained that the teen suffered the potentially deadly drug reaction after she took a children's Motrin almost a decade ago.
Samantha Reckis was 7-years-old at the time she took the medication and shortly after the dose, she experienced a rare side effect known as toxic epidermal necrolysis. The side effects were devastating. She lost 90 percent of her skin and was left blinded.
According to a spokeswoman for Johnson & Johnson, they are saddened by the tragedy the family has suffered, but the company doesn't agree with the verdict and they are "considering additional legal options."