Though a family awarded $63 million may be glad to have won their healthcare case, the Huffington Post reported this Thursday, Feb. 14, that it doesn’t change the fact a young child lost most of her skin and went legally blind after taking a brand of Motrin almost ten years ago.
Johnson & Johnson has been ordered to pay the affected teen, Samantha Reckis and her parents, $63 million after the child underwent a severe reaction from a pain reliever that resulted in her losing her skin and going blind.
Samantha Reckis was only seven years old when she was given the Motrin brand, suffering a very rare, life-threatening side effect called toxic epidermal necrolysis, leaving her without sight and with over 90% of her skin gone. The child also suffered memory loss, brain damage, and diminished lung capacity.
The family awarded $63 million filed for the lawsuit back in Jan. 2007, accusing Johnson & Johnson of not warning buyers the drug could have such dangerous side effects. The five-week trial ended this Wednesday morning in the favor of the family.