Family members of those who were killed in the Aurora movie theater shooting sent an angry letter Wednesday to Cinemark after being invited to "a special evening of remembrance" and a movie in the theater where their loved ones were massacred.
On July 20, James Holmes allegedly opened fire inside a crowded midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.” 12 people were killed and 58 wounded.
The company announced last month that it would reopen the theater on Jan. 17 and invite people affected by the attack and other guests, a move that Aurora officials said has strong support in the community.
According to the Denver Post, an email invitation was also sent through the Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance. It said that counselors would be available at the event.
In addition, victims and their families were told special arrangements could be made for them to visit before the reopening, on Jan. 15 and 16.
The e-mailed invitation to a "special evening of remembrance," is a thoughtless, insulting gesture, said Sandy Phillips, whose 24-year-old daughter, Jessica Ghawi, died in the shooting.
"None of us received a letter of condolence or any other communication from Cinemark, but now they want us to step foot in that theater," Phillips said in an interview Wednesday. "It's like people going back to a slaughterhouse, as far as I am concerned."
Cinemark had no immediate response to the letter.
Like what you’ve read? Subscribe to receive (spam free) email notification of top news articles.
Got something to say? Say it on Examiner by following this link to sign up.