The Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, will afford a wonderful opportunity to experience the cultural, educational and athletic pursuits from the assembled countries. This is one time that the proverbial couch and home will take center stage, but that doesn't mean there won't be opportune times to mimic some of the performances and possibly set forth a dream for the children to become a participant.
Parents may set up various projects in the home to realize the magnitude of the Olympic spectacle from the multi-cultural heritage of the participating countries. Here are some examples that may prove to be an exhilarating educational experience:
- Design an art project for medals, flags and costumes
- Use apps from the Apple and Android operating systems to learn about the countries and even participate in mock events on an X-box, Wii or Kinect system
- Make makeshift equipment from household materials to depict what is really happening on the TV screen. Establish a fun competition between family members.
- Learn the languages from the countries with basic greetings and athletic terms
- Make nutritional recipes or energy bars that may possibly be served in the Olympic village
- Use Google Earth or related materials to find out where the athletes reside
- Use language arts and scientific projects for each country along with social studies and healthy choices. Prepare a meal for an athlete and share with the family the tastes and flavors of a countries meal regimen.
- Become a reporter for the Olympics and write an article about an individual or actual Olympic event.
- Use apps that will detect the heart rate of the athletes and transfer that knowledge during family events in the comfort of the home. There is an app, Cardiograph, which will save all results and a check and balances for improvement.
- NBC Olympics , Team USA Pinsanity app( pin-collection), At&T #ItsOurTime app, 2014 Team USA Road to Sochi App and check the Apple and Android app pages.
- Find out about the anthems of each country or play an instrument to honor a country and athlete at the medal presentation.
- Weather permitting, transfer the Olympic events outside and make modifications for an energizing experience.
The experiences will be an invigorating and educational experience for the families. The Olympics are a great time to find out about what is happening in the World, and taking part and joining the athletes and countries in a celebration of unity and fraternity.