Skip to main content

Families and high schools needed to host international students

Share the World
Share the World
Face the World Foundation Inc.

Face the World Foundation (FTW) is a nonprofit organization that places foreign exchange students between the ages of 15 and 18 in the homes of local host families.  Founded in 1980 and headquartered in the San Francisco Bay area, FTW offers international high school students an opportunity to sudy in the United States by residing with an approved host family.  Both the students and host families go through a screening process to make sure that the match will provide the best cross-cultural exchange possible.

Face the World exchange program is approved by the Council of Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET) and follows the standards set forth by the organization.  Students come to the United States on a J-1 Visa that is sponsored by the U. S. Department of State.

Local Community Representatives interview interested host families.  Host families can be married or single adults that will provide a stable environment, a bed, meals, and inclusion in all family activities.  The local high school has to accept and determine the students' start and end date, and whether or not they will receive a diploma or Certificate of Attendance.

The majority of FTW's international students come from European and Asian countries and will stay for a five- or ten-month stay.  All students must maitain a "C" or above average to participate in the program.

Face the World Foundation provides an enriching cultural experience for the exchange students, host families, and school districts that enroll the students.  FTW's mission is to provide an excellent educational experience and for its participants to learn first-hand about other cultures and gain a new perspective about the world as a whole.  Many families and students have built lasting relationships and some host families have visited the students in their native countries.

If you or someone you know is interested in hosting an international student, contact your local Community Representative.