During the day the sun shines brightly and there is a little breeze blowing through the air and all that you may require is a light jacket…some days are still even shorts-appropriate! However, as soon as night falls, the chill that creeps over your body lets you know that fall is quickly approaching! With that, it means that it is time to update your wardrobe with some new fall essentials. Or, dig up all your fall items that were probably starting to feel lonely and abandoned in the dark corners of your closet. Here I have compiled a list of the top five trends for this fall based upon the predictions of Retailers.
1. Punk; this style originated in London around the 1970’s based upon the designs of Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren, to name a few. It definitely came as a shock at first because it was the complete opposite of the hippe-style that was all the rage in the 1960’s. Everyone’s long flowing locks were chopped off into layered haircuts or even buzz cuts. This look is very simple to achieve, think Patti Smith! Your local thrift store is probably filled with abandoned vintage band tees, even if it requires some searching on your part. Pair that with a pair of skinnies, which we all know that every girl has her favorite pair, a leather jacket, combat boots and a dark lip if you are feeling extra brave! Vintage Ramones T-Shirt.
2. Biker Jackets; who can deny that bikers are the epitome of cool. While most of us are running around trying to stay warm, they are riding their bikes with their leather jackets, hair flowing in the wind (if they have hair) and just looking absolutely free! For Fall 2013, the biker jacket is becoming a big hit! Designers are remaking the classic looks in a whole array of new styles. From different colors to a combination of fabrics or even adding elements like “misplaced” zippers…everyone will be able to find that one jacket that fits into their closet. While the typical look may be to pair a biker style jacket with a pair of jeans and boots, if you opt for a lighter look you can even pair it with your favorite fall dress for the perfect mixture of girly and tough. This item is definitely one that is worth the splurge! ASOS leather jacket.
3. Boyfriend-sized; the best part about the colder seasons is being able to throw on an oversized sweater and curling up into a little ball under all of its warmth. And this season is the perfect season to do just so! It is no surprise that this is predicted to be a big trend based upon how popular “menswear” fashion was; no one can refute the fact the boyfriend jeans paired with a pair of heels and a blazer looks amazing! For fall go even further, and cozier, by pairing your favorite boyfriend jeans with a button up shirt that is not too snug, but still does not come off as too lazy. Add onto it a big cardigan, whose long sleeves will keep your fingers warm, a boyfriend beanie and a pair of boat shoes (i.e. Sperry’s) or some ankle booties. Some designers are even coming out with a line of “boyfriend-sized jackets” so keep an eye out for that too! ASOS boyfriend beanie.
4. Chic Folk; this trend is all about bringing the vintage back to life in the modern world. The pairing of delicate pieces with chunky jewelry is absolutely genius and looks amazing! One of the best ways to achieve this look is to find a long-sleeved folk style dress…whichever one tickles your fancy! Throw on top a chunky cable knit cardigan, a pair of tights, some boots and then go crazy with chunk metallic jewelry or you can even raid your grandma’s closet and find some unique vintage pieces that will also have a meaning to you; especially brooches! Forever 21 Dress.
5. Studs; last, but definitely not least! Studs have been everywhere lately! It seems as if, upon entering a store, it is actually difficult to find items without some studs on them, but who’s complaining? This is the perfect accent to add a “bad-girl/rebel” vibe to any outfit…even the most girlish one. A very classic way to pull this off is to get a translucent button up shirt with a studded collar then throw over it a sweater, so that the collar shows. Pair this with some jeans, leather leggings or even a skirt! Finish it off with a pair of studded boots or some flats and cute bag! For a fun DIY project you can even dig up one of your favorite fall pieces, buy some studs at your local arts& crafts store and transform the item into a new and fun one. Forever 21 Flats.
So there you have it! These are the top five trends that are predicted to be all the rage for this Fall! There is no denying that this will definitely be so. Each one of these trends is very easy to achieve and make it into your own. Also, you do not have to spend a fortune on purchasing new pieces because you can take old pieces and just style them in a new way. Have fun with it and do not be afraid to experiment!
Also, all the items featured in my Polyvore collections may be found on my Polyvore profile. So, if any specific item stood out to you make sure to check it out!