This is a delicious fall soup filled with all kinds of wonderful vegetables. Dusted with Romano cheese, the cannellini beans are warm and filling. The butternut squash gives you the color and taste of pumpkins, and the added color of red pepper and kale remind you of the turning leaves.
Don’t let the kale in the ingredients list put you off; it is cooked and perfectly accents the other ingredients. It tastes more like spinach but packs the “POW” of nature’s perfect Super Food.
- Four cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 package plus one can chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
- One really large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced in 1/2" pieces
- One bunch of kale, removed from stalks and chopped.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 olive oil
- Two small cans mushroom pieces, drained and washed
- 1 teaspoon of reconstituted lemon juice
- In a large soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add butternut squash cubes and cook around 10 minutes.
- Add red pepper pieces and mushrooms. Stir to coat with onion mixture.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings (sugar, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and lemon juice) and allow to cook until the squash and pepper pieces are soft. (Probably around 10 minutes.)
- Add chopped kale, and allow it to wilt.
- Add the cannellini beans and stir until they get warm.
Serve with a generous sprinkle of Romano cheese. This soup is actually even better the next day. This recipe is great for fall, but you will prepare this for your family year around.
Be sure and follow @Barbiecrafts on Twitter.