The West Branch Angler (WBA) has been profiled here before, and for good reason. The shop and resort is a world class operation located on the banks of the West Branch of the Delaware, arguably one of the best trout fisheries east of the Mississippi. The fly shop provides a great selection of fly fishing tackle and flies, most of which are ideally suited for local Catskill waters. The shop provides a stable of experienced guides, cabins for extended stays, and an excellent restaurant for anglers looking to cap a great day on the water with a fine dining experience.
But beyond the operation and fly shop, the WBA has a reputation for putting on some pretty good fly fishing events. One of those started just last year, called Fall Fest. This year's second annual Fall Fest is sure to interest most anglers who ply our local waters. Fall Fest is free, but be mindful that some events require advanced registration and in one case, a relatively small fee. The event starts Saturday 10/5 from 8 am to 5 pm. The Fly Fishing Gear sale extends into Sunday from 8 am to 5 pm.
Following is the agenda for the event:
- 2014 Gear Preview - new 2014 products from Simms, Patagonia, and Orvis will be on hand for review.
- Learn Spey Casting - building off the Orvis concept of Fly Fishing 101 / 201, event attendees will have an opportunity to learn the basics of spey casting for free! Anglers wishing to take the next step can take the '201' class for a nominal charge of $75. Registration is required for these classes. Spey 101 is on Saturday at 9 am. Spey 201 is on Saturday at 1 pm.
- Fly Fishing Gear Sale - WBA will be moving out the overstocked and discontinued product to make way for the new at discounts of 20 - 50%! There will also be a chance to pick up lightly used sales / demo gear at rock-bottom prices. Saturday and Sunday, 9 am to 5 pm.
- John Miller Fly Tying Demo - watch WBA's head guide tie up some of his favorite flies for fall steelhead fishing. Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm.
- Rich Strollis Fly Tying Demo - local legend Rich Strolis will tie up some of his epic fall streamers meant for big browns, including the new 'masked avenger'.
- Steelhead Alley Outfitters - listen to the boys from Steelhead Alley Outfitters talk about steelhead fishing in the Lake Erie tribs. Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm.
- Scott Radian Test Cast - almost the entire line of Radians will be on hand for test casting. This rod promises to please! Saturday, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Helios2 Switch Rod Test Cast - come and cast this brand new edition to the Helios line of fly rods. Saturday, 8 am to 5 pm.
- Scientific Angler Fly Line Trade-in - bring in your old fly line and get 20% off a brand new Sci-Angler line! Saturday, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Shop Talk BBQ - burgers, hot dogs, sausage and Uncle Sam on the grill. Grab a brew, relax, talk shop, and cast away. Saturday, 11 am to 3 pm.
No matter what your fly fishing fancy is, the Fall Fest is sure to please. Make sure you check it out. Contact the fly shop at 1-800-201-2557 for more information.