With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it's time to start thinking about all of the delicious dinner options. Sweet potato is one of the most contentious dishes, though. You either love them, or hate them. There's not really much in between. This dish, however, can satisfy even the staunchest members of the anti-sweet potato club.
Sweet Potato Casserole
(serves 6 - 8)
6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1 inch squares (rough chopping is okay)
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1 cup marshmallows (mini)
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy cream (hot)
1 pinch of salt
- Boil cubed potato until fork tender over medium high heat in a large sauce pan or stock pan
- Once tender, drain and put back in the pot
- Add cold butter and hot cream
- Use whatever mashing implement you typically would to mash the potatoes.
- Once the potatoes are roughly mashed (think small chunks but not huge ones left), add brown sugar, syrup, and walnuts. Stir to combine.
- Then add 1/4 of the marshmallows to the mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add mixture into mini ramekins, casserole dish or other oven safe glassware.
- Layer the top with the remaining marshmallows, and place in a 375 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes until marshmallows are brown and gooey on the top.