With Fall in full swing now, some of the most interesting and flavorful vegetables are now in season. One trip to your local farmer and you'll leave with a bounty of potatoes, leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, and much much more. This delicious recipe tastes like it's been simmering all day. Really, it only simmers for an hour and requires about 20 minutes of prep time.
Creamy Potato and Leek Soup
2 - 3 medium potatoes, diced
1 leek, sliced into rings
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup wine (white wine, stuff you'd want to drink)
1 tsp thyme
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
- In a saute pan, add olive oil on medium high heat.
- Once hot, add leeks, onion, garlic, celery, and carrots.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place wine and stock in a stock pot over high heat
- Saute until onions begin to soften slightly
- Turn heat on stock down to medium, and add the previously sauteed veggies
- Simmer over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes
- Add potatoes, lemon juice. Simmer for another 20 minutes
- Add cream, stir to combine
- Season to taste, then serve with toasted crostini