Better than a prescription drug for depression or chronic pain, the activities families do together are just good, natural medicine. Laughter, the feelings of belonging to a caring group of people and the joy an experience brings a child or a parent surpasses the effects of any narcotic. The more active a family is together, the more health benefits will be seen. High blood pressure can be reduced by adding daily activities such as walking.
These fall activities are free or very low cost adventures.
- No child and very few adults can resist a hayride and a campfire in the North Georgia Mountains. November 2, 9, 16, visit Cloudland Canyon State Park in Rising Fawn to enjoy the wildlife and fall colors while riding a tractor-pulled hay wagon. After the ride, join the campfire for hot cider and other treats. gastateparks.org, 706-657-4050
- Visit the 4th Annual Woodstock Art & Wine Festival November 2-3 at The Park at City Center in Woodstock for a juried art and craft show, wine tastings, entertainment, a kid's area and great food. woodstockartandwinefestival.com, 404-966-8497
- While at Cloudland Canyon for the hayride, join the Mountain Arts and Crafts Celebration on Nov. 2-3. There will arts, crafts and entertainment. cloudlandcanyon.org, 706-657-4050
- Check out the 9th Annual Festival of Trees & Artists' Market at Harris Arts Center in Calhoun on Nov. 4-Dec.8 to see the handcrafted gifts, 100 themed trees, wreaths and centerpieces and participate in a silent auction. harrisartscenter.com, 706-629-2599
- Toccoa Harvest Festival will be held Nov. 2-3 in downtown Toccoa. There will be crafts, entertainment, kid's activities and food. mainstreettoccoa.com
- Eat a Georgia Rainbow Nov. 3,10,17, 24 and Dec. 1, 8, 15 presented by Imagine It! The Children's Museum of Atlanta in Atlanta. The Program features fruits and vegetables locally harvested, along with a story and cooking activities. childrensmuseumatlanta.org, 404-659-5437
Buy a bottle or two of the great Georgia wines featured at some of the events. Just four ounces of wine with dinner provides better digestion and antioxidants that fight disease and the aging process. This is the perfect time to see fall colors throughout the North Georgia area.