Faith healing: Intellectual incompetence and moral failure

Faith healing: Intellectual incompetence and moral failure
Faith healing: Intellectual incompetence and moral failure
(commons.wikimedia.org)

Comments

• Phil 5 years ago

This article is too biased and therefore goes on continuous negative rants on Christian idea. I don't agree with the methods of those people, but you have to understand they ACTUALLY believed by praying they would heal their son. Wether the fact that their methods were correct or not is besides the point. Their intentions were as good as anyone seeking medical attention. However this method led to the death of their son, so they were wrong.

My disgust is the hatred this article portrays against the Christian people. Instead of being progressive and trying to invoke growth and knowledge, this guy banters extremely negative remarks. Now tell me, how is THAT progressive?

• Rachie 5 years ago

Phil, you are so right. This article is completely biased and obviously unprofessional. Professional writers and journalists keep their minds open. Christians are sincere about what they believe and what they believe is true. I've seen it first hand what God can do. I've seen a man who was blind in one eye (the eye was grey and obviously life-less) be able to see because people prayed for him. Now tell me, what happened there? Do not despise something just because you've had a bad experience or have something against that thing. Keep an open mind. Experiment for yourself. And make sure you don't get your impression of Christians from the religious. Because they are not an example of Christ. If they shun you, they're wrong. If they judge you, they're wrong. If they don't accept you for who they are, they're wrong again. This is not how my Jesus is. My Jesus is the Jesus of the Bible. The Jesus who is faithful and takes you and loves you as you are. Nuff said... :)

• Psy 5 years ago

Phil I do understand these people actually believed, then you downplay it by playing the hate card. Faith isn't a virtue its self deception and I'm not just discussed with Christianity but all religions. Hopefully we will find a cure for religious anti-intellectualism.

Rachie as for them man with one eye, when someone collects the million dollars from James Randi I will believe it. How do I explain it? People are gullible.

• Réne Girard (Ft. Worth Christianity & Culture) 5 years ago

It is a shame those people did not seek medical attention. They were sincere, but wrong.

Science can be the same way. I have friends healed by prayer and healed by medicine. And I have friends who died at the hands of doctors and medical professionals, as well as those who recovered and pulled through because of their intervention.

It goes both ways.

• Felix H. Cat 5 years ago

While this is a very opinionated article for a journalistic piece, someone needs to have the courage to declare that this ignorant superstition and culture of religious indoctrination that favours blind faith over empirical evidence and reason is wrong and damaging. I applaud the author for doing so.

• Josie S 5 years ago

Now for my 2 cents worth - Yes it was wrong to not seek medical attention for their son - However, we need to have more compasion and look at the bigger picture - To say they are not fit to be parents, I understand the anger behind it and at the same time I feel compassion for the parents becuase I know all too well what revealed religion can do to the mind when one loses touch with reality. Religion is the problem, not necessarily the people who live oppressed and with a mind that no longer reasons. These people accept truth that many of us know is not truth and these truths when accepted, become those mind virus's. Instead of condeming the parent's for brainwashing the son, let's discuss the religion that had brainwashed the parents. I beleive we are heading towards a great wake up call in the areas of revealed religions becoming revealed as to what they really are and the unfortunate thing is that many are suffering at the hands of awareness.