With the zero and below temperatures many residents will see a uptick in their gas bills due to the constant running of their furnaces to keep warm. Peoples Gas is hosting a series of utility assistance and resource fairs to assist residents with higher then usually energy bills.
In order to assist residents, representatives from Peoples Gas, CEDA, ComEd, and a number of city, state and human service agencies will be on site. The Utility Assistance and Resource Fairs are being held in Chicago as follows:
- Sat., Jan. 11, The Salvation Army Red Shield Center, 945 W. 69th Street from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Sat., Feb. 22, Rauner Family YMCA, 2700 S. Western Ave. from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Sat., April 5 Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, 3857 W. 111 Street from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
All residents are welcomed to these free fairs to see if they are eligible for CEDA, LIHEAP or Peoples Gas Share the Warmth match grants. Residents need to have income at the 150 percent Federal Poverty Guidelines to be eligible for LIHEAP.
Family Income Guidelines
Size of Family 1 30 days Income $1,436
Resident should bring with them the following:
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the last 30 days,
- Social Security Cards for all household members,
- Copy of most recent utility bill,
- A Medical Eligibility Card for any household member receiving TANF, and
- Their rental agreement, in cases where utilities are included in the rent.
Residents who are unable to attend the community heating fairs can still apply for LIHEAP funding through CEDA. To find the location of the closest LIHEAP application site, Peoples Gas customers should call CEDA’s hotline at: (800) 571-CEDA (2332).