Elton , as he is known now, was saved from death by a Facebook campaign led by user Jackson TN Euthanasia. Elton's previous owner took the dog, an American bulldog mix, to the Jackson Rabies Control Shelter in Tennessee because he deemed that the dog was a homosexual after seeing Elton "hump" another male dog. This behavior is quite normal and happens all of the time. Why an owner would really freak out about this is unknown. Thankfully Stephanie Fryns who is a veterinary technician with no kill facility Woof Connections stepped up and brought this beautiful animal home. Elton was scheduled to die today (January 31) but was luckily granted another chance at life.
Humping and other common,but normal, dog behaviors include:
- Humping is not always sexual. There are several reasons why dogs exhibit this behavior including when they are excited or to show rank. A higher ranking dog will not submit to being "humped" by a lower ranking dog.
- Butt sniffing is done because dogs get information about another dog in this manner as they have two potent scent glands there.
- Licking is a dogs way of showing that you are the leader of the pack and their willingness to submit.
- Whining - because they have missed you or to express a want or need.
- Tail chasing is often for entertainment purposes only.
- Peeing where another do urinates is to let other dogs and animals know that they are in the area.
- Dogs eat their own and other dogs poop because there may be undigested nutrients or to mask the fact that they have been in the area.
Just because we don't understand a dogs behavior, doesn't make it abnormal.