Facebook is the ultimate time-sink of the Internet. On iPhone and a standard Internet browser, it's usually optimized for the device. The iPad, for the longest time, has had to deal with either using Safari to access the website, or a blown-up iPhone app.
After years of waiting, the official Facebook app has been updated to include native iPad support. Version 4.0, on top of updating for iPad nativity, adds features to the iPhone/iPod Touch version as well.
Facebook for iPad
With high-res photos, games, chat and more, now you can get the best of Facebook—on your iPad.
- Enjoy bigger, better photos: Your photos are high-res and easy to flip through, like a real photo album
- Navigate anywhere, fast: Just tap, slide or pinch to move from one screen to another
- Play games on the go: Access your favorite Facebook apps and games, wherever you are
- Focus on what matters: Zoom in on your friends' photos, updates and stories
- Never lose your place: Share a photo, update your status or send a message without leaving News Feed
- See who's nearby: Check out the Nearby map to see what your friends are up to
Facebook for iPhone
Facebook for iPhone lets you stay connected and share with friends on the go. Start a chat, keep up with friends' photos and status updates, look up a phone number, upload photos to Facebook and more—right from your iPhone.
What's New in Version 4.0
With improved search and browsing, the facebook.com features you use most are now just a touch away. It’s a faster, fuller Facebook for iPhone.
- Games & Apps: Play games and access your favorite apps on the go
- Navigation: Send a message or see your notifications from any screen, and swipe to browse Facebook without losing your place in News Feed
- Bookmarks: Your groups, pages and apps are all in your left-hand menu, and the ones you use most are right on top
- Search: Search for anything on Facebook—people, apps, pages and more—without having to click around or switch views
- Security: We’ve added a few updates to make the app more secure.
Naturally, the app is available for free on the App Store. There have been scattered complaints about being unable to log into the app once updated; deleting and reinstalling seems to be the best bet for fixing the problem until a new update comes out.