In an exclusive interview with Examiner.com Sunday, Julia Sieben, co-founder and editor of the conservative site Lady Patriots, said she received a two-day ban from Facebook for simply thanking people who wished her a happy birthday.
Sieben said she had approximately 1200 birthday wishes, and was simply trying to thank her friends for thinking of her on her special day.
"I got about 500 or so complete when I received a ban notice for spam and was locked out for two days," she said. "I made no other posts other than my own page."
This is not her first run-in with the social media giant.
Sieben said her page, which she describes as a coalition of freelance writers, bloggers, and activists, including writers from Israel and Australia, has come under fire from Facebook since its inception.
At one point, she said, the page came under a denial of service attack from liberals on Facebook and Google, and Facebook classified links on her site as spam, telling readers that it was a malicious site.
She also said her site has logged visits from the corporate offices of both Facebook and Google.
Despite the attacks, her site has grown, attracting readers from around the world. As of this writing, Lady Patriots ranks at 9,749 in the United States according to Alexa, having risen over 1.4 million places in the last three months.
Sieben's personal account was purged by Facebook twice, she said, forcing her to threaten the site with a lawsuit.
She also said that she has been banned from posting on her own page and inviting guests to her Internet radio program.
This is not the first time Facebook has slapped a user for simply thanking someone.
In early August, Facebook smacked Examiner.com's Joseph L. Parker after he thanked someone for liking an article he wrote. Recently, Parker said he got slapped a second time for offering thanks.
Ironically, Facebook says in its blog that it "has always been about helping people make connections." Apparently, making "connections" doesn't include something as simple as saying "thank you."
- Female conservative says Facebook dismissed death threats, threats of rape
- Facebook: Picture of suspect wanted in murder of Spokane vet violates standards
- Facebook bans 'Military with PTSD' admins over post about God, religion
- Spokane police looking for black males in beating death of World War II veteran
- Spokane remembers murdered WW2 veteran Delbert Belton in candlelight vigil, memorial fund set up
- Facebook defends page attacking conservative minorities with racial slurs
- Media silent as thousands set to protest Facebook's treatment of conservatives
- Facebook goes ban-happy, punishes user for saying 'thank you'
- Facebook suspends 'Blackout' event admin for post saying woman seeking attention
- Announcing ‘Everyone Blog About Facebook Blackout’ day
- Report: Facebook says invites to 'Blackout' protest event 'spammy'
- Liberals freaking out over conservative ‘Facebook Blackout’ protest
- A short list of words safe to use on Facebook
- Controversial Facebook page says Jesus Christ should’ve been aborted
- Conservative tells liberals to stop living off the government, Facebook bans him
- Liberals Are people Too…Mean, Selfish People
- Facebook apologizes to Kirk Cameron for blocking new movie
- What the Daily Beast doesn’t tell you about Freedom from Facebook Day
- Facebook says ‘Zimmerman must Die’ does not violate community standards
- Facebook removes ‘Kill Zimmerman’ page after saying it does not violate rules
- Questions raised after Facebook yanks popular ‘Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children’
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.
Joe will also discuss this issue on Misguided Children Radio on Wednesday, Sept. 4.