Face Off kicks off with no less than sixteen contestants and a new judge Oscar winner Lois Burwell. The first episode starts with a twist: it's an elimination challenge to begin with, with two of the sixteen contestants to be eliminated. Fittingly, the contest is a makeup challenge about life and death. Also, the contestants (men and women alike) seem to have gotten the message that being visually different matters a lot -- we have a kaleidoscope of colorful hairstyles, including green, pink, red, and blue.
- Damien (death): His model was murdered. A horror hobbyist, he doesn't stand a chance -- the judges have never liked horror-only makeup artists.
- Keaghlan (life): The impossible-to-ignore blue-haired Keaghlan makes an ethereal goddess-like character.
- Scott (life): Scott stumbles right from the beginning, literally -- he represents the older set, a hobbyist who likes horror working on an intergalactic savior.
- Drew (death): A foot soldier from the underworld who deals death on the living through disease and pestilence.
- Cig (life): He makes his character THE LIFE WARRIOR! *guitar riff* He's quirky.
- Barry (Life): An elven pirate that travels the seas healing people (must be a D&D gamer). He's also a technician who happens to e a dad.
- George (life): A cyborg who lives forever. A FX vet.
- Doc (death): Green-haired doc makes a bite wound on the model's neck. Another FX vet.
- Gabby (death): In the flash through Gabby's art was a clear drow queen shot so she gets my vote! Unfortunately it looks likely she's not going to make it as she cuts up her prosthetic -- a creature that embodies those self-defeating thoughts that everybody has.
- Sasha (death): Haunts the graveyard where she was killed by a bunch of crows.
- Dina (life): A forest nymph. Also, Dina is a cake decorator!
- Vince (death): Harbinger of death. A returning SF vet.
- Stella (life): A fertility goddess for animals.
- Rachael (life): A sea goddess. Rachael has purple hair!
- Jason (death): A medieval peasant that's been rotting in the sewers. A self-taught amateur who also happens to run a busy kitchen in Atlanta.
- Gwen (death): She creates the personification of death as he moves through time. One of the few non-white people on the show.
Then Robert Englund of Freddy Kreuger fame shows up and announces a new prop that has to be incorporated into the makeup. Then Ve Neill, Glenn Hetrick, and Neville Page.
The judges just decide to toss Scott off the cliff in mid-judging. They didn't consider him competitive enough to be even in the running on the show, which is a shame as Scott represented age diversity as someone getting into a new profession. Gabby, another older contestant, went over the cliff with Scott. Too bad.
Want more? Subscribe to this column; follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar. Become an Examiner and get paid to write today!