Among the many great things to do in Mobile, Alabama is the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park.
For 50 great years, the park that is home to Battleship USS Alabama (BB-60), Submarine USS Drum (SS-228), well over 25 historic aircraft and various military equipment has set up shop in Mobile Bay to give a glimpse of history to thousands of people each year.
More that 14 million people have come aboard the battleship Alabama as it approaches it's 50th anniversary being in Mobile.
Before, during and after you visit the Memorial Park, you can relive history and see what life was like aboard the USS Alabama in World War II by having the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park app right on your mobile device.
Get information like how many ships the USS Drum sank and learn about all the "F" Series fighter jets in the Aircraft Pavilion.
Did you like the YF-17 Cobra Prototypes?
You can get more information about them and honor those who have served our country, all the way from World War II through the Vietnam War with this app and your visit.
Per William Childs, developer of the app, here are some of the features:
- Quick Access: Simply type in the corresponding number posted at aircraft and military equipment for more information.
- Self-Guided Tour Routes: While aboard the USS Alabama and USS Drum, select tour routes, with maps and pictures, for guidance throughout the ship and submarine.
- Plan Your Trip: If you're planning a trip to Battleship Memorial Park, the app will help you make sure you do not miss anything on your visit.
- Park History: Learn more about Battleship Memorial Park, Battleship USS Alabama, and Submarine USS Drum.
- Park Map: With the built-in Park Map, knowing where you are throughout the Park is easy. Simply click on the Park Map and your location will appear, as well as attractions around you.
In June, the app was updated to work with iOS 7 and the "swipe" was improved for easier navigation.
My favorite feature of the app is the "Quick Access" feature. Type in the number outside the aircraft in the pavillion and a ton of interesting information is at your fingertips.
Many times, a Memorial or Military Park like this can be overwhelming and a lot to take in.
But the USS Alabama Memorial Park app gives you an easy alternative to get an education and more enjoyment out of your time in the park. This battleship and everything in the Memorial Park is educational and gives a glimpse into our country's military history. This app does as well.
You can also use the app as research ahead of your visit or use it to share your experience with friends and family as you return home. You can also see what you might want to purchase at the gift shop.
A great app and a fantastic memorial to our military and war heroes.
Download the iOS app here: