Examiner.com got an exclusive look backstage at Milly by Michelle Smith Fall 2014 presentation at Lincoln Center. We spoke with Romy Soleimani for Beauty.com backstage. She designed a soft makeup look inspired by an "off duty ballerina" using all Kevyn Aucoin products. She layered a soft smoky navy on the top and bottom rim of the lashes, essential mascara, and added a plumping lip balm in Sheer Petal (out this fall) on the lips. "We're very softly doing a haze around the eyes but using a navy instead of a black, charcoal, or brown," she told us. "It's a bit softer, and there's a lot of navy in the collection." Soleimani also used Arcona skincare to keep the skin fresh as well as a tinted moisturizer to finish the skin. A full healthy brow was especially important. Soleimani's best tip? "Don't overpluck them!"
The hair was designed to bring out the models' natural beauty, according to Christophe Dove, Wella Professionals Creative Ambassador and lead stylist. "It’s as if a dancer let her top knot unravel into a simple low ponytail," Dove told Examiner.com. "I wanted to keep the look as natural as possible, leaving the texture raw and authentic.”
Get the Look:
1. Starting with freshly washed and conditioned damp hair, spray NIOXIN DiaMax through the roots and massage into scalp to give lift and increase thickness.
2. Blow dry hair straight using a round brush for extra volume.
3. Apply 1-2 pumps of Wella Professionals Oil Reflections to the palms of your hands, then smooth evenly distribute throughout for added shine.
4. Part hair directly down the middle and secure into a semi loose low ponytail, ensuring all hair is tucked behind the ears.
5. Take a small strand of hair from the ponytail and loosely twist the entire piece securing with an elastic band on the end.
6. Twist piece around the ponytail creating a spiral shape on top of the first elastic band.
7. Tightly secure the piece of wrapped hair with bobby pins underneath the ponytail.
8. Finish the look by misting hair with Sebastian Professional Shaper Hairspray to set in place.
Michelle Saunders for Essie created a soft pink nail. She started with new color Cocktails & Coconuts because "it really brought a nice hint of pink to the manicure," Saunders told Examiner.com. Then she layered in Mademoiselle and Ridge Filling Base Coat, creating a customizable look, something she says is the future of nail trends. "It's a customizable layering technique that we're doing specifically for Milly to match a few of her garments in this collection," Saunders said. "The layering was really deliberate."