Every dog who was boarded at a St-Lazare, Quebec, kennel died following a devastating fire which broke out last weekend, reported Wednesday's Montreal Gazette.
A staggering 18 dogs perished in the blaze which destroyed the Family K9 training and boarding facility.
Though firefighters were able to eventually extinguish the flames, the dogs inside had all died.
One dog owner, who had been away on a vacation at the time, told the Gazette that the loss of their dog, "Dexter," was devastating:
“It’s a tragedy because Dexter was an extended part of our family. He was such a special dog.”
According to the local fire chief, the dogs were unattended on the night of the blaze - a fact which upsets Dexter's guardian, who belived that there would always be someone supervising the dogs who were kenneled at the facility.
The exact cause of the deadly fire has yet to be determined. Some dog owners are seeking out lawyers following the tragedy.
Note: I am currently away on a family vacation. Thank you for your patience while publishing is limited.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located near the top, left portion of this column.
It is free and anonymous to sign up. Follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter! I am human, if you see a typo, please let me know.
Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com. Please note - due to the heavy volume of emails received, I am unable to respond to each and every request, but they are all appreciated!