This member of Evergreen’s program team is responsible for the implementation of our Bike Works community program at Evergreen Brick Works. The Bike Works Program Coordinator will work closely with the Project Manager, other staff, and project stakeholders, partners, volunteers and funders to ensure successful, timely project delivery.
• Coordinate the weekend Bike Works drop-in “Do-It-Yourself” space and all associated program deliverables
• Assist in the supervision of weekend Bike Animators
• Assist with back-end administration (weekly and monthly reporting) of all Bike Works operations
• Manage aspects of the program’s volunteers in accordance with Evergreen guidelines.
• Plan, deliver, and evaluate public and private workshops on bicycle safety, maintenance, mechanics, and learning to ride
• Plan, deliver, and evaluate ravine trail rides for the general public, as well as community and schools groups
• Day-to-day upkeep of Bike Works space
• Assist with the delivery of Evergreen’s Green Cities Adventure Camp bicycle programming
• Calm under pressure/Conflict Resolution. Demonstrate composure in stressful situations and follows Evergreens protocol when dealing with challenging people.
• Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques. Check email daily and respond back within a 24 hour period.
• Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external customers/donors to meet or exceed their expectations and receives positive feedback from internal and external customers/donors.
• Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get things done.
• Supervised by: Project Manager, Community Development
• Supervises: Bike Works Animators and Volunteers
• 1-2 years of previous work/volunteer experience as a mechanic and/or sales person in a “do it yourself” shop or retail bike shop.
• Experience with volunteer management
• Previous staff management an asset
• Confident leading others in repairing and maintaining their bikes.
• Experienced in workshop facilitation
• Able to work independently and complete assigned tasks
• Strong organizational skills
• Able to work a variety of hours, evenings and weekends
• CPR/First Aid (an asset), Valid Ontario Driver’s License (an asset)
• Proven ability to work with diverse populations and ability levels
• Able to create a positive and empowering experience for all participants, volunteers and staff
• Complete a successful Police Reference Check (Vulnerable Sector)
• Certification – BAM, Barnett’s, Winterbourne or equivalent experience gained in a DIY Bike shop or retail bike setting.
• Can Bike 2 Certified (or willing to get certified)
• 24 – 30 hours per week as scheduled, including weekends
• Standing for extended periods of time
• Able to lift 30 Lbs.
Terms of contract:
• Part time contract, March-November 2014
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to:
Please Reference “Bike Works” in the subject line
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen is a charity that inspires action to green cities. Evergreen strives to solve pressing urban environmental issues by bringing people together, inspiring them with possibilities and engaging them in identifying solutions and taking action.