Whether you’re setting up your first kitchen or need to replace some old items, this list of essential baking tools for the baker will come in handy for shopping and for gift-giving. Here are a few must-haves for the baker’s kitchen.
- Mixing spoons – you’ll be mixing wet ingredients and dry ingredients, and then mixing them together – multiple spoons are a necessity so that you’re not constantly washing one during a single recipe.
- Bowls – much the same as mixing spoons, multiple bowls in a variety of sizes may be needed for a single recipe. The most popular are stainless steel or glass.
- Rolling pin – used to roll out cookie dough and pie shells; also comes in handy for smashing graham cracker crumbs and other things for cookie recipes.
- Spatula – a flexible silicone spatula will help remove all the batter from a bowl when baking a cake or brownies, or for scooping out that last bit of cookie dough from the bowl.
- Measuring cups and spoons – cups for larger ingredient amounts and spoons for smaller amounts of important ingredients.
- Oven mitt – for taking all of your goodies out of the oven.
- Baking sheets – for making cookies, keeping things warm or warming things up in the oven. Can also be used if recipes call for freezing or refrigeration.
- 9” x 13” pan – essential pan for most cake and brownie mixes, also good for casseroles and lasagna.
- 12-cup muffin tin – for muffins, cupcakes, individual sized portions of meatloaf and much more.
- Parchment paper – not an absolute necessity, but once you use it you’ll always want to have it handy. Makes quick work of clean-up and can be used to separate rows of cookies or brownies.
Enjoy the Buffalo Baking Examiner? Check out her accompanying blog, Bites from Buffalo, for more recipes and food fun.
Follow Paula on:
- Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance and Buffalo Baking Examiner
- Twitter - @paulat14
- Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
- Flickr – PaulaThompsonFreelance
Contact Paula at email@example.com