One of the most overlooked parts of exercise nutrition is the night-time snack. Eating a low-carb, protein-dense snack right before you go to bed helps slow muscle catabolism, maintain an overall anabolic state, and burn fat.
Sources of slow-digesting protein
The most reliable sources of slow-digesting proteins are isolated casein protein and cottage cheese. Rather than digest quickly and thus absorb quickly, casein protein (which is present in cottage cheese, and other dairy products) takes 4-6 hours to completely digest, and therefore your body actually burns calories while you sleep, and consuming it regularly over a long period of time has shown to have excellent results.
A delicious night-time shake
Here is an example of the perfect snack, to be eaten right before you go to bed. In a blender, mix the following:
- 1 cup lactose-free 2% milk, such as Mootopia, available at the Hancock Center HEB
- 2 tbl all-natural, no-additive peanut butter, such as that from Central Market on 35th St
- 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Casein Protein
- 1 tbl pure cocoa (optional)
- 1 tbl flax seed oil (also optional)
Serve in a chilled glass. This shake is absolutely delicious and easy to make. Also, the resulting muscle growth and fat loss could be the missing link in your diet program.