Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

Erin Corwin missing 2 weeks: Disappearance 'suspicious,' not 'voluntary'

See also

On July 12, the missing person case of Erin Corwin entered into its third week, and although the FBI and Border Patrol have joined forces with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department and other local and state agencies, a lack of leads and a paucity of emerging information have led investigators to name no suspects or persons of interest. However, after another weekend of fruitless searches in the southern California desert country, the Sheriff's Deptartment still believes the 19-year-old pregnant woman's disappear was not "voluntary" and that the manner in which she disappeared was "suspicious."

The Los Angeles Times reported July 11 that the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department still would not call Erin Corwin's vanishing the result of foul play, spokeswoman Cindy Bachman did say: "It is suspicious that a young woman, who's pregnant, is missing for so many days."

Of course, the "suspicious circumstances" of the disappearance of pregnant wife of Marine Corps Lance Corporal Jonathan Corwin, who was the last person to see his wife and the individual that filed a missing persons report on her a day later, is the very reason why homicide investigators took the lead on the case early on.

Although there has been public, social media, and news media speculation that the young Marine may have had something to do with his wife being missing, investigators have noted that he has cooperated with officials and in the search for his wife. Relatives, including his mother-in-law, Lore Heavilin, have come to Corwin's defense against any and all unsubstantiated speculations.

Law enforcement have remained noncomittal, simply sticking to the facts.

"Everybody has been cooperative," Bachman said.


In a statement released Friday via an online advisory (per the Hi-Desert Star), the Sheriff's Department noted: “The information released during this search has been minimal due to the suspicious nature of Erin’s disappearance. The search has shown no sign of Erin and her disappearance does not appear to be voluntary.”

Since the case's inception, little has been disclosed to the public.

Erin Corwin left her, according to the report Jonathan Corwin gave to the police, at 7 a.m. on the morning of June 28 to go on a scouting trip to nearby Joshua Tree National Park. Her mother was soon to visit from Tennessee, where the young couple had grown up and married, and the daughter was searching for places to go and perhaps picnic. When she did not return, Corwin reported her missing after she had been gone 24 hours -- on June 29 -- past the time he expected her to return.

Law enforcement found the Marine's pregnant wife's vehicle not far from the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base in the city of Twentynine Palms the next day.

Since then, air and land searches have encompassed some 200 square miles.

Erin Corwin remains missing. Anyone having any information regarding her whereabouts or about her disappearance are urged to contact the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department at 760-366-4175.