Gardeners eagerly await the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival every year, and this year foodies have something to be excited about, too. But the festival appeals to yet another big group: fans of 1960s and 1970s music. Throughout the festival they get to see a parade of classic performers at the Flower Power concert series.
This year, the concerts kicked off with Micky Dolenz of Monkees fame. Click the video toward the bottom of this article to see Dolenz chat with the media at Epcot in between his busy concert schedule (the acts all perform three shows a night for three nights).
In the video, you'll learn an interesting fact about Dolenz: he was almost cast as the voice of Mickey Mouse. He even does a quick sample of Mickey's voice.
Dolenz wraps up his act at Walt Disney World on March 10, but there's an exciting parade of bands following in his footsteps this year at Epcot. Some have mainly old time appeal, while others are just as recognizable to youngsters as their parents and grandparents. For example, who doesn't know what to do when they hear "YMCA?"
Here's the rest of the 2013 schedule:
- March 15 to 17, Chubby Checker and the Wildcats
- March 22 to 24, The Guess Who
- March 29 to 31, Nelson
- April 5 to 7, The Turtles, featuring Flo and Eddie
- April 12 to 14, Paul Revere and the Raiders
- April 19 to 21, The Village People
- April 26 to 28, The Orchestra (members of ELO and ELO II)
- May 3 to 5, Tommy Roe
- May 10 to 12, Herman's Hermits, starring Peter Noone
- May 17 to 19, Starship, starring Mickey Thomas
If you'd like to see more Micky, go on to my next article for a one on one interview about the early days and the audition that made him one of the four Monkees stars. You can also jump ahead to see this year's touching performance of "Daydream Believer" with a fan.