One cannot dispute the impact of television on the baby boomer generation. It permeated so many areas of their life as their growing up. Their parents, the builder generation, use television as a babysitter during the day in their preschool years. One school started baby boomers would rush home in time to see the latest music on American Bandstand or watch the antics of The Mickey Mouse Club. As they grew television grew with them. Prime time television during the school week, once reserved for their parents, started to fill up with shows year toward children.
Walt Disney was one of the bigger influences on this generation. As Milton Berle had been credited for selling televisions to the builder generation Disney made parents update their televisions with the weekly “Wonderful World of Disney” program because of its rich use of color. Disney also gave birth to theme parks as virtually every baby boomer dreamed of going to Disneyland in California.
Of course the shaping of the baby boomer generation extends beyond simply television. Music also played a big role. There is a short list of some of the most influential aspects of entertainment that shaped the baby boomer generation:
- Disney World
- Hula Hoops
- The peace sign
- The Brady Bunch
- Captain Kangaroo
- Rock 'n roll
- The Beatles
- Bob Dylan
- Diana Ross and the Supremes
- Beach Boys
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Learn more about today’s generations:
- Builders / Traditionalists, also known as the greatest generation, born before 1944
- Baby boomers, sometimes relabeled the sandwich generation, born between 1943 and 1964
- Generation X, born between 1961 and 1980
- Generation Y, sometimes referred to as the millennial generation, born between 1977 and 2000
- Millennials, sometimes referred to as generation Z, born after 1998
- “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Boomers, Gen Xers, and Gen Yers in the Workplace”
- “Because I Said So! ”: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids.
- “When Generations Collide”: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work.
- More books about generations.
- For viewing: Thousands of vintage old television program and classic movies at Amazon Prime. Get a free trail