Good news, back-to-schoolers!
Even though you might be tapped out after shopping for school clothes and school supplies, you and your parents can have a great time this weekend for almost no money.
Maybe still shopping for back to school?
The Friends of the Jacksonville Public Library and Habitat for Humanity in Bunnell need just little bits of your money.
Kids need a science project?
Stomp some grapes and learn about wine-making out in Newberry, or go family-seining at GTM Research Reserve Guana Dam Recreation Area.
Need a laugh?
Jacksonville’s own Mad Cowford Improv Company turns seven this weekend. For five whole dollars you can be there when it happens.
The 4th Annual Great Southern Tailgate Cook-Off starts Friday.
From Fernandina Beach all the down to Palm Coast, you can find something cheap and clean to do.
What more could you ask for?
As always, details below.
- 4th Annual Great Southern Tailgate Cook-Off – Fri. Aug. 23 & Sat. 24. Main Beach, 99 N. Fletcher Ave., Fernandina Beach, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public, free parking with event shuttle. Bring your family, friends, and your appetite to Main Beach Park and enjoy live music by local and regional bands while experiencing the thrill of competition. Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, professional barbeque competition teams will compete for over $20,000 in cash and prizes Cheer on your favorite backyard team as they battle against other local teams in their own barbeque competition. For more information, please call 904-277-0717 or visit www.gstailgatecookoff.com.
- Book Warehouse Sale –– Aug. 22-25, 29, 31. Visit jpl.coj.net for hours of operation. Friends of the Jacksonville Public Library Book Warehouse, 3435 University Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. 32277. Admission: FREE & open to the public with special discounts for FJPL members. $10 memberships available at the door. Book warehouse sale including buy-one-get-one-free offers for FJPL members on opening night. $10 dollar-bag specials – all the books you can stuff into a brown grocery – starts on Aug. 25 and continues for the rest of the sale. For more information, please visit www.jpl.coj.net.
- Family Seining at the GTM Research Reserve – Sat., Aug. 31, 8:30-10:30 a.m. GTM Research Reserve Guana Dam Recreation Area, 505 Guana River Rd., Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Admission: FREE with paid parking, $3 a car. Learn to pull a seine net through Guana Lake, collecting species of fish, crabs and more, and then learn about the animals and their roles in the habitat. All necessary gear including waders and boots will be provided. Please RSVP by calling 904-823-4500 or visit gtmnerfamilyseine.eventbrite.com.
- Free Entrance Days in the National Parks – Sun., Aug. 25, check parks’ websites for hours of operations. Admission: FREE & open to the public. In honor of the National Park Service’s birthday, NPS is offering free admission. For more information, please visit, www.nps.gov.
- Grape Stompin' Wine Festival – Sat., Aug. 24, 9 p.m. & Sun., Aug. 25 , 6 p.m. Tioga Town Center, 105 SW 128th St. Suite 200, Newberry, Fla. Admission: General admission free, get tickets at grapestompin2013-zvents.eventbrite.com/. Along with wine and craft beer tastings and food pairing tours at all your favorite downtown establishments, this event features a genuine grape stomping contest live music, carriage rides and more. You can also purchase one- or two-day passes to experience all the festival has to offer. For more information, please call 352-331-4000.
- Habitat For Humanity Overstock Extravaganza – Sat., Aug. 24, 8 a.m.-1 p.m. 15B Hargrove Grade, Palm Coast, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Sale includes furniture, appliances, wall art, china, collectibles and more. For more information, please call Habitat for Humanity in Bunnell, Fla. at 386-586-6180.
- Jade Grenades vs. Bradentucky Bombers Roller Derby – Sun., Aug. 25, 5:30 p.m. Skate Station Funworks, 230 Blanding Blvd., Orange Park, Fla. Admission: $10 advance, $12 at the door, free to all active-duty military with valid military ID. The Tri-County Rolling Militia’s Jade Grenades take on the Bradentucky Bombers. Please bring chairs. Please support your local roller derby. The Tri-County Rolling Militia is proud to offer free admission to all active-duty military with valid military ID. For more information, please visit www.tcrmrollerderby.com.
- Mad Cowford's 7th Anniversary Show – Sat., Aug. 24, 8:15 p.m. Northstar Substation, 119 East Bay St., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: $5. Seven is one of those numbers you just know is special. Since we are approaching our improv adolescence, we decided to throw one hell of an anniversary party. Northstar will have craft beer and pizza specials, Mad Cowford will have sweet giveaways, and, of course, there WILL be cake. Come laugh, come celebrate, come party with us! For more information, visit www.madcowford.com.
- The Morocco Shrine Circus Spectacular – Thurs., Fri. & Sat. Visit jaxcircus.com for show times. Morocco Shrine Center, 3800 St. Johsn Bluff Rd. S., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: $15. Thursday is Military Appreciation Night – all active-duty military personnel and their dependents get in free with military ID. For more information, please call 904-232-3001 or visit jaxcircus.com.
©2013 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org