The miserly Scrooge in Charles Dickens' beloved A Christmas Carol is a notorious horrible boss. Holidays are stressful enough without an employer making additional demands during this busy season of decorating, gift buying, baking, and partying. If you have a boss like Scrooge try these strategies:
- use tactful negotiating skills to remind your boss that you are a person who gets stressed and has needs
- send out a firm reminder that you will not be responding to work emails/phone calls/text messages during the time you have off from work
- if possible, delegate additional assigned work to other members in your workplace while you are vacationing or spending time with family
If your boss is kind enough to throw a holiday party or distribute gifts/bonuses, remember to be courteous and say thank you. You may get lucky and have a boss that requests that you take time for yourself during the holiday season.
Use this holiday vacation time to rekindle the relationships with young children, to spend time with your spouse or pet, to spend quality time with the friends and family you love. The time you give to others is quality time and is worth more than a paycheck. Remember to take time for yourself as well. Read a book. Go for a walk. Watch a movie. Finish a craft. Do anything and everything that relaxes and comforts you. Your mental health will thank you in the upcoming new year.
There are plenty of fun events to do with friends and family in the Towson area this December holiday season that all happen outside the workplace.
- Take pictures with Santa at the Towson Town Center Mall
- Explore winter wildlife at Patapsco Valley State Park
- Curl up with a warm drink and a good book at Ukazoo
- Watch the Baltimore Ballet perform the Nutcracker at Goucher University on December 14
- Enjoy holiday music at the Towson Library on December 15
- Sing along with a performance of Handel's Messiah at Goucher University on December 20
- Find out the true story behind the Christmas Star at Towson University on December 20
- Spend some time with the kids at "Christmas With the Kids" at Goucher University on December 21
- Listen to the sounds of the season at the "Winter Solstice Concert" at Goucher University on December 21