If you are sharing custody with your ex-husband, and are not dating anyone special at this moment in time, it is possible that you might find yourself alone on Valentine's Day this year. The tendency may be towards self-pity in some cases, but always remember - it's better to be alone than with the wrong person!
Here are some suggestions to help single moms enjoy the alone time:
• Get a massage. There are many massage therapists in town, and coupons are often available for first-time customers. Tranquil Health Massage and Wellness Center, located in Fort Collins, goes a step further than most introductory offers, and allows you to take advantage of the discount not only the first time you visit their center, but the first time you use each of their massage therapists. They currently have 7 massage therapists, which means you can use the introductory offer once with each therapist. An unbeatable deal.
• Take the opportunity to watch a chick-flick; if there was a significant other in the picture, chances are this wouldn't be possible. Some personal favorites:
o Truly, Madly, Deeply - one of my favorite English films, it is actually very sad, but romantic and quirky at the same time.
o The Lake House - even if you are not a Keanu Reeves fan, it's hard not to be taken in by this romantic film.
o Walk the Line - it doesn't even matter that this film is about a famous couple, it's just a beautiful love story.
o Bridget Jones' Diary
o Hope Floats
o Dirty Dancing
o Urban Cowboy
o Frankie and Johnny
o Gone With the Wind
o For Me and My Gal
o Splendor in the Grass
• Read a good book. The Bridges of Madison County is a wonderful romantic book, and is short enough to be read in a few hours. Wuthering Heights is another option, but is quite a bit longer.
• Have a glass of wine/champagne/root beer float. Whatever makes you feel good.
• Light candles and listen to your favorite music.
• Call a friend or family member that you haven't spoken to for a long time.
• Order takeout.
• Take a bubble bath by candle light.
• Write a letter or email to someone you've lost contact with.
• Chat with friends online.
Whatever you choose to do, enjoy yourself this Valentine's Day!
If you'd like to receive an email each time I publish a new article, please click the Subscribe button at the top of this page and enter your email address.