There is nothing better to warm your insides than a creamy, hot bowl of homemade soup. Cream of celery soup is a favorite in many households for its simplistic taste and fragrant aroma.
Celery has been around since the 16th century and in those times was used strictly for medicinal purposes. Today celery is a popular vegetable eaten as a snack, served with dips as an appetizer, sliced in salads and is also considered a zero calorie food for those who diet regularly.
Celery is also good cooked as well as raw. It has been used in stews and cassaroles and makes a great base for celery soup.
- 2 cups of celery, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fine onion
- ½ cup of potato, diced finely
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 ½ tablespoons of cream
- Place the butter in a medium sized soup pot and add the chopped celery, onion and potatoes and stew for approximately 10 minutes without letting the vegetables brown.
- Then add the chicken stock and simmer the pot for 20 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered place a cup or two at a time into a blender and puree the mixture well.
- Once the entire pot of celery soup has been through the blender, pour the mixture a cup at a time through a strainer over a clean pot.
- Add the milk a little at a time while stirring to achieve the right consistency.
- Bring the soup to a light boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove pot from the stove and add the cream stirring with a spoon.
- Transfer the soup to a soup tureen or large bowl and serve while hot.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: