Looking for something new to serve for lunch or maybe you want to enjoy a light and cool dinner these New England classic lobster rolls are just the recipe to look for. Not everyone can travel up the east coast to the New England area to experience this classic delight and staple that is usually served by the beach. Preparing a coastal treat for the family is easy, delicious and a dish that will thrill the taste buds rather than a typical ham and cheese sandwich once again.
- 3 (1 ½ pound) live lobsters
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- ¼ teaspoon of celery seed
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 top-split hot dog buns
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Place the lobsters in the boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until completely red in color.
- Remove the lobster and allow them to cool down completely.
- Shell the lobsters to remove the lobster meat.
- Chop the lobster meat roughly into chunks and place into a mixing bowl.
- Combine the celery seed, chopped celery and mayonnaise into the lobster meat.
- In a frying pan melt the butter and place the hot dog buns into the butter and toast on the stove until they turn a light golden color.
- Fill the hot dog buns with a few leaves of lettuce and the lobster mixture, and then serve while the buns are still warm.
- The lobsters can be frozen prior to boiling for easier handling. Or you can just purchase frozen lobsters at your local grocery store.
- The lobsters can be cooked a day ahead of time if your schedule is quite busy. This will provide more time to prepare these New England classic lobsters roll sandwiches the following day.
- Some markets sell lobster meat that is shelled and chilled too. This is another option to use when you are unable to purchase the live ones in your area or the cost is just out of your price range.
- Serve with French fries, potato chips or some sliced fruit on the side to complete your lunch or light summer dinner.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved